Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Fortaleza Part 1






I leave in two weeks, seriously two weeks from today I will be on a plane headed for Dallas and then I board a different plane and head to Sao Paulo. So in honor of Brazil and the great adventure that lies ahead I am bringing you a 7 part series on Fortaleza and the wonders therein.

Part 1: Introduction
Fortaleza, the capital city of the State of Ceará, has been for decades one of the most popular destinations of Brazilian tourists. In recent years, the fame of Fortaleza has been gaining the world, and the number of Europeans, North and South Americans travellers coming to Cearás has grown fast.What attracts so many Brazilian and foreigners to Fortaleza? Rather than pointing out one single reason, it is safer to say that visitors are attracted by a combination of the sunny beaches, (can't swim) the busy and safe nightlife, (i'll be sleeping) the delicious culinary, the rich Brazilian culture, the very peaceful and friendly people. On top of that, it's worthy mentioning that Brazil is free from natural disasters, (can I get a hey oh?) and is a country with low cost of living.

Area: 313,8 Km2
Population: 2,332,657 (est. 2004 - source: Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics). Including the cities in the metropolitan area.
Fortaleza has more 3,3 million people, making it the fifth largest metropolis in Brazil.
The following cities are included in the metropolitan area of Fortaleza (ordered by population): Fortaleza, Caucaia, Maracanaú, Maranguape, Aquiraz, Pacatuba, Pacajus, Horizonte, São Gonçalo do Amarante, Itatinga, Guaiúba and Chorozinho.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

2 weeks!! That is so close and so exciting! I can't remember if I already told you, but I tried to go see Rachel last Sunday, but she wasn't in the MTC anymore. She'd only been there a week, and I was so disappointed that I missed her! :(