Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Ode to the Candy Counter

I got to work today and found a mini milky way on my desk and I ate it. Yes it was not even nine yet but it was so delicious. As I bit into the creamy caramel and smooth nougat I was transported back to a simpler time. A time when I used to eat candy for breakfast all the time. I refer happily to that time as my candy time. I had an amazing job as a cashier, but not just any cashier, a candy cashier. I worked at the BYU Bookstore selling bulk candy. This job was more glamorous then it sounds. I loved this job for 6 reasons. 1.) Almost unlimited candy, if the candy fell on the counter we could not sell it so it became free game for the employees. Also, we had to give our customers opinions on the candy so we were required to try at least everything once. 2.)Awesome people. I loved my job because of the people I worked with, I can't tell you the countless hours of fun I had behind the counter, whether we were coming up with new names for the "tender hearts" or developing chocolate covered hot tamales it was a blast! 3.) Provo Celebrities: So maybe these people aren't even D-list but their visits always brought excitement. B-money, Mr. Cinnabunny, Sister and who can forget the sweet and charming Joe. I think he asked every girl to be his girlfriend. Elder Cecil O. Samuelson came too but I am not sure what category he falls into. 5.) BYU football Players, notice that I didn't include them in the Provo celebrity category because they are more to me! I met Bryan Kehl, Ryan Neely, Brett Denney, Wayne Latu, and I will never forget the day when Fui Vakapuna bought wax lips. Maybe the best day of my life! 6.) Did I mention the free candy? Seriously, my favorite job ever and that is quite an accomplishment because I have had ALOT of jobs! So, even though my job earned me the undeserved title of the "candy Slut" (a story for another post) I will never forget you candy counter and will think of you every time I bite into a sweet confection.

3 comments:

Megan said...

I'm so glad that I could be a part of most of those memories!!! But how could you leave off Elder Swallow and "Caramels" on your list of famous people? :) They will always be famous to me.

laneolson said...

Kimber- Thanks for your comment on my blog. I used to work with Jarrett a lot but over the past couple of years have not been working with him as much. The company that we had that was representing him has disolved and that is why the website doesn't work. I am still a close friend with Jarrett and love his music as well. I don't think he has a personal website up right now but you might look him up on facebook.

squirrelyearl said...

You really have had a lot of jobs. Kimber, have you found a new job yet?